Tom was born in Colne Engaine in 1783 (son of Thomas and Elizabeth Wash) and married Sarah Sadd on 30 September 1806. They had seven children, the second of whom was James. The first child, Jemma, was baptised on 15 February 1807 and James Wash was christened on 29 January 1809.
(NB James baptism was written in the register to Thomas and Mary Wash, NOT Sarah. This may have been an error by the registrar, vicar or whoever. Proof of his paternity was not found until finding his 2nd marriage where occupation of his father is Gamekeeper.)
Subsequent children with their baptismal dates were Thomas 17 March 1811, Phillip 24 September 1813, Elizabeth 21 May 1815, John 19 April 1818 and Sarah 22 April 1821.
Tom was Gamekeeper to the Honeywood estate at Markshall, Coggeshall. Tom and his dog are the subjects of an oil painting by R. Nightingale of Maldon.
The following article by Mr. Hales appeared in the Essex Farmers Journal of November 1933. Apparently Tom Wash and Fisher Hobbs put their astute heads together and crossed rabbit beagles with a harrier to get the dash and the speed which placed them into a class of their own:
“Old Tom Wash, the beloved head keeper, who shared with the Parson those first small beginnings, from which so great results were to flow (for beagles all over the world now owe their qualities to the Honeywood blood), followed the pack as long as his legs permitted and was privileged to ride to Willie’s harriers. He survived all the Essex Honeywoods, and was gathered to his fathers in 1876 at the advanced age of 93 years. His grave is at Earls Clone (that Mecca of sportsman), and I am proud to be in correspondence with his great grandson, Mr. Tom Wash, of Frinton-on-Sea. Another great-grandson is Mr. Charles Wash the well known builder and contractor of Earls Colne.”
Tom was a witness at a court case for trespass in his later life. An article from the Chelmsford Chronicle is in the photo album section of this site.
James Wash and Rachel Wash
James and Rachel (nee Clark) had nine children. They were:
Emma Wash born 14 March 1835
Rebecca Wash born 5 March 1837
Elizabeth Wash born 27 February 1840
James Wash born 3rd quarter 1841
Matilda Wash born 2nd quarter 1843
Sarah Wash born 1st quarter 1845
John Henry Wash born 3rd quarter 1846
George Wash born 2nd quarter 1848
Mary Ann Wash born 4th quarter 1850
James died on 12 April 1898 at the age of 93 and is buried at St. Botolphs in Essex. After Rachel’s death in 1884 he married Susannah Maskell on 2 November 1886.
Rachel was born 28 June 1812 at Earls Colne in Essex. She died 11 September 1884 and is buried at St. Botolphs in Essex. She was the 7th child of William Clark and Rebecca Clark nee Smith.
The Wash bakery business
In 1850 this was in Magdalen Street. By 1866 James Wash had moved the business to 11 St Botolphs Street, Colchester where it continued until 1874.
By 1878 son George had taken over the family business, trading at the same address.
George Wash continued trading and it is believed that the business was handed down to his son George, now G. Wash Bakers.
It moved to 45 St Botolph Street circa 1890 and remained there until 1952. By 1954 it was listed as just Wash’s and remained until 1964 when trading ceased.
Elizabeth lived to the ripe old age of 96 and 6 years before her death, on the occasion of her 90th birthday, had a “chat” to The County Telegraph newspaper reporter.
At that stage she was living in Military Road in Colchester and was described as “so fresh, coloured, so jolly, so talkative, has such a vivid memory and is so active that her age would not be readily guessed”.
In the article she commented that she remembered the German Legion being accommodated in the wooden camp erected for them. They were “a terrible lot”, she commented “and fought amongst themselves”.
As this site and the records show, she was married to (and had at least ten children with) Peter who it’s believed was based there, so presumably they were not all so terrible.