Mary Ann Rebecca Fink was born on 9th April 1868 at 8 Belgrave Terrace, Peckham, Surrey. She was the 6th child of Peter and Elizabeth.
By 1871 the census return shows her living with the family at 3 Alfred Street, St Giles, Camberwell, Lambeth
The 1881 Census return shows that the family had now moved to 61 Kiver Road, Islington.
The 1891 census return shows Mary Ann Rebecca living by herself at 11 William Street, St Pancras, London.
Mary Ann Rebecca married Walter William Moss on 12th June 1892 in the Parish Church, St Pancras, they were both living at 11 William Street at the time of their marriage. The witnesses at the wedding were James Henderson (Elizabeth Finks second husband) and Margaretha Theresa Fink, her sister. Walter Moss’s occupation is ‘Baker’.
By 1901, Mary Ann Rebecca and Walter had 3 children, Walter John Moss, Frank William Moss and Margaret Sidonie Moss. The family lived at 24 Netley Street, St Pancras, London. The family was complete when Helen Marion Moss arrived in 1903, followed by Ernest Edward Moss in 1907. Sometime between 1903 and 1907 the family moved again to 13 Clarence Gardens, St Pancras, London.
Walter William Moss was not a well man. We are led to understand that he suffered from a bad heart which led to him being in and out of the infirmary. It is for this reason, we think, that 3 of the children, Walter, Frank and Helen were sent to the St Pancras Industrial School in Leavesden, Hertfordshire. Walter William Moss died 28th April 1909 in St Pancras Infirmary, Highgate, London, aged 42 years.
Mary Ann Rebecca married again on 26th October 1910 to George William Matthews at St Pancras register office.
We are unsure of what happened in her life after this point, except that her eldest son Walter John Moss was killed during WW1.
Mary Ann Rebecca died at aged 72 years, on 8th June 1940 in St Mary Abbots Hospital, Kensington. At the time of her death she was living at 21 Carburton Street, Marylebone, London. The informant was Ernest Edward Moss her youngest child.
Children – in birth order were –
- Walter John Moss – Born August 1896 – 13 William Street, St Pancras, London Died 1st July 1916 during the first world war.
- Frank William Moss – Born 7th Feb 1898 – 13 William Street, St Pancras, London (BARBARA’S GRANDFATHER) Died 2nd October 1960
- Margaret Sidonie Moss Born 27 Aug 1899 – 24 Netley Street, St Pancras, London (Married James Keefe) Died 1994
- Helen Marion Moss Born 8th Dec 1902 – 24 Netley Street, St Pancras, London Died – Unknown have yet to trace her.
- Ernest Edward Moss Born 23rd May 1907 – 13 Clarence Gardens, St Pancras, London (SHARON’S GRANDFATHER) Died 18th June 1984